Wednesday, May 23, 2012

...and I'll do it MYYYYYYY way.

Let me start by saying this is going to be very ranty.  However, this all needs to be said... so listen closely.

I will be the very first to admit that I do not know all there is when it comes to running.  Not.  Even.  Close.  (This should be very clear by my most recent injury).  However, there are two things that drive me 100% batty and we need to chat about them... ready??

Yes, I would love, love, love to help you.  I can give you pretty basic advice.  I can certainly share what I do, what I use, what I eat, how I train, what works for me, and what I love.  These things may or may not work for you, but it is what I do and I am happy to share.  I cannot predict how you or your body will react to these things.  I *can* tell you how much time and effort you will need to to put into running a half or a full marathon, how you will need to run outside long hours, how you will need to eat somewhat correctly, how it will feel like running has consumed you, how very very difficult it will be.  I'll need you to *trust me* when I say that you will need to be honest with yourself, consistent with your running, or realistic about your goals.  I promise, if running that far was *no big deal* everyone would do it.  It is a huge deal.  HUGE!!!  Let's not minimize that.

Secondly, I am very content with my training schedule.  Running is personal - what works for me may not work for you, and that is OK.  And while I love being invited to classes, runs, events (don't stop that) please don't demand that I need to add cross training, strength training, hill training, or whatever, to my schedule.  I'm good.  I will do it my way.  MY WAY.  I will not compromise.  And, if you haven't already ran a couple marathons - I really don't want to hear it.  It would be like me telling a parent of five children what they should and shouldn't be doing.  Just because you read it on the internet does not mean it applies to everyone.  I promise.

That said, I would 100% be over the moon if all my friends were runners.  Running is such an amazing sport.  It is one of the very few that allows you be alone in your head.  It is my meditation, my chance to reflect, my chance to remember who I am and what I want to be, it is my religion.  I want everyone to experience this, and I would love to be a part of that journey.  But at the end of the day - it is YOUR journey, YOUR adventure, YOUR experience.  Grasp that with both hands and love the adventure...  or run, rather.  You won't be sorry you did.

Here's to going the distance.

Andrea

No comments:

Post a Comment