Sunday, December 11, 2011

Viva Las Vegas!!!

I didn't really give up on blogging so much as it just got moved to the back burner.  However, I am back!! ... and please excuse the grammar.

Now, let's talk about Vegas and of course the Marathon. 

I cannot believe that it has only been a week since my adventure.  I, of course, can still physically feel the effects.  I really didn't think it would take this long.  I kinda expected to be normal in a couple days.  Coach says it takes a day for every mile you race; I'm hoping to be done with this crud in a couple more days. 

So, on to the starting line.  I was nervous, terrified, excited, worried, and most of all I had to pee - like, eight times.  Once we started, though - I was able to just zone out (except for running next to Elvis - that was weird.)  I didn't have my head phones in, and the roar of the crowd was so very inspiring.  I knew that I had to take it slow, no need to rush off the line only to crash later.  So, I held back and fell into my groove. 

The first half of the race was wonderful.  It all just clicked along.  At one point, I saw the leader doubling back - that is a sight to behold.  It was animalistic and graceful at the same time.  I am fairly certain his feet didn't touch the ground.

The second half of the race is where the action began.  You see, there were 6,000 full marathoners and 38,000 half marathoners.  Word is, there was trouble with the start of the half and everyone got bunched up.  Once the full joined the half - I wanted to hurt someone.  You see, the halfers were supposed to stay on the right and the fulls on the left, but that would have been too easy.  So, everyone was everywhere.  I had to duck and weave, and jump on and off the sidewalks, and stop and start.  People would cut you off only to start walking a couple feet later.  I saw one lady get pushed to the ground... it was ugly.  My legs began to turn to jello around mile 22 - not because I wasn't ready for this, but I wasn't ready to tackle the stopping and starting (oh, and the jumping.)  If you run, you know, that in long distances if you lose your pace and rhythm, it's not coming back.

Not only did we have people who had a little trouble understanding the "rules" - the water stops were dry from mile 19-26, not good.  Okay, okay - not 100% dry - I was able to scoop my own water out of a trash can that had about 3 inches of water left in it, and countless cooties.  I have heard over the last few days that several people were sick from "tainted water" - I can't even imagine.

If you were following me, and wondered how I went from a 9:30 steady pace to finishing in 4:24:36 (which is still pretty damn good in my book) it is because of all the challenges.  I do feel that I am pretty ready for anything running can throw at me, now.  I got all the adventures out in my first marathon.  Once I crossed the finish line - I was a mess.  All tears.  I was so happy to see Katie JG at the end of the race - I needed that big hug.  My first words, through tears, "that was horrible, I want to do it again!!"

I can't tell you how much all your cheers, texts, FB posts, and calls meant to me.  I basically have the most wonderful group of friends and family anyone could ever ask for.  Plus, the finishers medal was pink and sparkly (it was like they designed it for me!!)

My body is tired, my feet will never be the same, the shoes will be retired, and my pictures have been lost.  Running has gotten into my blood, and will forever be part of who I am and how I define myself.  Now, on to the next race...  maybe another full in May?? 

VIVA LAS VEGAS!!!!






No comments:

Post a Comment