Monday, December 12, 2011

The Trials of Getting Home.

After six days in Vegas - I was pretty ready to come home.  I think any time after four days in that place takes a few years off the end of your life. (However, I was able to stay at the new Cosmopolitan, and it was fancy!)

So, Katie and I get to the airport early - with lots of time to spare (hooray OCD you saved me this time).  I go to check in, and the computer thingy can't find my reservation.  That is pretty normal - so I head to talk to the lady at the desk.  I give her all my information, and she begins typing away.  I think I hear her mutter, "well, this isn't good." 

She gives me the news.  The idiot gate agent in Spokane, while trying to upgrade my seat from Seattle to Las Vegas (six whole days ago) - decided to go ahead and cancel the Las Vegas to Seattle portion of my trip.  Awesome.  Sooooo appreciated that, in fact, I wish I could thank her in person with a punch to the face.  Did I mention the flight was SOLD OUT?!?!  She couldn't get me a seat, but she could get me a first class seat on the 6:00 pm flight - we were there at 9:00 am.  At this point I am very very close to meltdown mode.

I am told that I will be put on standby, and I should plead my case to the gate agent.  Katie and I make our way to the depths of the airport.  Both a little shocked that something like this could even happen.  How could someone cancel my flight without A. telling me B. my permission C. knowing???  *shakes fist*.

As I am sitting next to the gate, on the phone with Alaska Air - I hear the gate agent tell another gentleman that the flight is almost checked in full, and there is probably no way *ANYONE* will be getting on.  I think tears start to form, and I am pretty sure my heart sank into the pit of my stomach.

After raising a ruckus, offset by a little begging and pleading, I finally get a seat on the plane.  Good news, I get to sit next to Katie.  Bad news, it's a middle seat and the man I am initially next to is a giant.  He eventually figures out that he is in the wrong seat, and a Canadian with his half marathon medal around his neck takes his place.

Did I mention I left my headphones in my checked bag??  Longest. Flight. Ever.

1 comment:

  1. Canadian? Giant? *weighing options* Definitely take the Canadian. Can't believe this happened to you!!!

    ReplyDelete