Monday, October 22, 2012

City of Trees Marathon. A Full 26.2


Thanks photographer Teresa for capturing my new pose.

If you are wanting to run a full or half marathon that is beautiful, well supported, and not very chaotic - have I got the race for you!!  The City of Trees Marathon was wonderful!!! From the people, to the scenery, to the race, to the support - there was nothing lacking.  Nothing at all.

The day before the race I went to pick up my number.  Lucky number 3.  I've never been such a low number before, those are usually reserved for the elite runners, but in Boise - you too, can be a low number and rock the single digits.  Go me!!

I had researched the course and knew that there would be roughly 550 feet of elevation gain.  That scared me a little.  I hate hills.  hate!!  I am not bad at them, but they give me heart palpitations, and make me super nervous.  The hills on this course didn't stand in my way at all!!  In fact, all the hills were in the first seven miles, and as I crossed the halfway mark (clocking in at my fastest half ever) I celebrated those hills.


Jazz Hands for Everybody!!!

The second half of the marathon was brutal.  I seem to forget that at around 19 miles your body decides to scream at you.  STOP. STOP RIGHT NOW.  QUIT RUNNING. THIS IS DUUUUUMB.  WALK YOU BASTARD. WAAAAAAAALK!!!!!!  I had found out that morning that my uncle had passed away, and while we weren't close - I still mourned the loss and it hit me incredibly hard at mile 19.  It took me a couple minutes to get my shit back together, and I never was able to recover fully - from that point forward everything made me teary.

The four year old passing out water, and yelling "go, runner, go" - teary.
Passing the woman that looked like a *runner* and that she should kick my ass - teary.
The golfers that wouldn't get out of the way, that made me run extra hard around them - teary.
Running through the chutes, and having perfect strangers (who owed me nothing) cheering, and yelling, and ringing their bells - teary. 
Crossing the finish line and having Teresa there, cheering me on, giving me hugs, and taking photos - teary.

I love this sport so much.  I love that these races are so pure and full of excitement for everyone.  How (and I realize there can be rivalries) it's basically you against yourself.  There are no judges to win over, no refs to make mistakes, no competitors who feel robbed by bad decisions.  It is just you, and your shoes, and a clock that keeps ticking, and high fives from people you'll never meet again, and cheers from the families of others, and sweaty hugs from your own personal cheerleader. 
I'd like to thank the academy.
I would encourage every person I know to at least walk a 5K and experience this.  To know that people, all people, are wishing you the very best - and are willing to yell "looking good" even when you know you look like death.  I think I need to volunteer at one of these races!!

That is why I smile all race long.  Because it feels like the world is rooting for you, and for that one moment: they are.

To Teresa and Pete, my people, thank you!!  Your cheers meant the world to me.  And Teresa, I'll keep the "Go, Farmer, Go" shirt for eternity. 

Out of 26 ladies in my age group, I came in 8th.

Out of 86 ladies overall, I came in 26th.

Much love to everyone.  Next full you ask???  Avenue of the Giants 05/05/13.

But before that - an 18 miler in Sacramento - 02/02.

1 comment: