Thursday, October 18, 2012

2 Years and Counting.

Two years and one month to be correct.

That is how long I've been running.  That's it.  Before that - I was just your average person that was too busy to workout, too uncoordinated to go to classes, too uninterested to play sports. I wasn't athletic, I was small, but not athletic.  (don't believe me - ask anyone I went to high school with)

I think that is why it is truly hard to believe.  I have finished two marathons, and only been at this two years.  Which brings me to my next point - if I can do it, anyone can do it.  Endurance sports, while training is important for obvious reasons, is all about the strength of your mind and the fullness of your heart.  You have to *will* your body to do things it is screaming, begging, for you to stop.  You must reach the point of exhaustion, and go further.  You have to explore parts of your inner workings you may not be able to handle, and you know what - you survive.

Two years, one month, two fulls, three halves, one 15K, three 10Ks, four 5Ks, and two relays.

... and to the academy...

and all the people who have supported me, texted/emailed/facebooked/called with words of encouragement, who taught me new tricks, who showed up and cheered me on, who sent good thoughts my way, who shook their heads in "dear God what is this girl up to" disbelief and cheered when I crossed the finish line, who met me with sweaty hugs, yes all you people (and you know who each and every one of you are) - you ride on my shoulders, keep me going, and make my heart sing.

I have new chapters to write; new goals to accomplish; new paths to cross and people to meet; new hardware to add to the drawer of accomplishments, new irritations and frustrations to endure; new PRs to smash - and I can't wait to get started.

Anyone else want to join???? 

No comments:

Post a Comment