Thursday, February 28, 2013

Let's talk about Aqua Jogging.

I'm a little late in posting this blog - mainly because I wanted to you have ALL the information. 

I aqua jog about once a week, and usually it's after my longest run of the week.  Why??  Because you get all the benefits of running without the impact, and after 12-18 miles your body loves that. 

So let's get technical. What you'll need - a bathing suit and a floatation belt (oh, and a pool).

I deep water jog - so that means you'll find me in the deep end of the pool, and my feet will never touch the ground.  So, now that I have strapped on the floatation belt, it's time to get busy.  I always joke that I look like a duck in the water because all the action is happening under the surface.  You want to start out by leaning slightly forward in the water (we want to simulate running - not treading water).  Now, begin an exaggerated running motion - bring the legs up a little higher than normal, pump the arms a little harder than normal, and keep those fists closed!  Remember to flex your ankles as though they are actually striking a surface.  Congrats, you now look like a duck  Success.

You need to be aware of your motions and be present in your workout.  Do not check out, or make googly eyes at the lifeguard, or get all twitterpated by the Michel Phelps-esque butterflyer in lane two.  FOCUS!!  If you are doing this exercise properly you should be breathing hard, and even (gasp) sweating!!

Want to ramp things up???  Increase your turnover - just as you would on a track, trail, or road. 

This workout is a little deceptive - you've been warned.  While you are working away in the water, increasing your heart rate, you may think "well, this isn't that hard.  It doesn't even feel like I am doing anything."  Do not let that fool you.  I can't tell you the number of times I have beached myself on the pool's edge because my legs were Jello.

There you have it!  Give it a try if you can - you won't be disappointed.

Here's to new ideas, and hard work.

No comments:

Post a Comment