Wednesday, January 23, 2013

We are not racing.

I've been spending my short runs inside on the track.  Thus, this blog post will be a smidge ranty.  I am apologizing right now.

Let me start by saying, I am awed by all the runners; all the shapes, sizes, speeds - it is my favorite people watching ever.  It continues to renew my love of the sport.  I am mostly proud that these people, while they could be anywhere, chose to spend time here.  Plus, I get a read on all the cool shoes.  Holy moses, are they fancy or what?

However, herein lies the problem.  When I am there I have a pretty specific goal.  I have times to clock, intervals to complete, and laps to check off.  I am not racing anyone.

So, if I am running on the outside line (where 8 laps equals a mile) and you are running on the inside lane (where 9 laps equal a mile) and you continue to lap me.  Please don't give me your smug, "I guess I am just better than you, face."  We are not racing, nor are we running the same distance.

... and to the lady that thinks I am ultra, crazy, super, insane competitive.  I was running intervals.  You just happened to catch me when I had to begin my last set (2 minutes at mile pace).  I apologize for making you sprint, but I was trying to finish my set, not out run you.  We weren't racing, no need for the rude mutterings under your breath...

Ah.  I feel better already.  Now back to our regularly scheduled programing:  running in the great outdoors.

High Fives!!

1 comment:

  1. Lol, I always wondered if people think I'm trying to race them when I did speedwork :)

    ReplyDelete