Monday, November 5, 2012

Cross Training or Torture....

If given the choice between the two I would really have to think hard.  Very hard.

A group of us have begun the journey to incorporate some cross training into our running/workout/fitness lives.  It'll be fun, they said.  It'll make you a stronger runner, they said.  How hard can it be, they said.

First, let me tell you that without my most wonderful group of ladies - Chrissy, Anna, and Cathryn - without you, I would have quit after the first day. You know, that day where I couldn't walk, and my whole body felt as though maybe I had been in a car accident - yeah that day.  But because of a little thing called peer pressure, I showed up for day two, and day three.  I even some how managed to keep up my running schedule.

By Thursday night, I found myself in the bathtub with no clear exit strategy.  It took me a good five minutes getting in there, and now with legs that won't work, a core that won't contract, and arms that felt like jello... I was screwed.  I thought about just staying in there for a couple days... the water was nice after all. 

It's now several days later (I did make my way out of the tub) things hurt less, and perspective has been gained.  I have a tendency to jump in with both feet - all in, or not at all.  Perhaps, this week I shall learn about moderation.  I'd like to work hard, and be sore - don't get me wrong.  But when you spend the next 4 days walking as though you may have a neurological disorder - you have gone too far. 

I went against the ONE piece of advice I always give people who are starting to run.  Start slow, finish with a little gas in the tank, so that the next day you look forward to the run.  If you give it all you have the first day, you lose the joy and feeling of accomplishment.  Instead, you feel defeated and out of shape.  Manageable goals, Andrea....

To the group of ladies that keep me coming back - bless your hearts.  I appreciate you more than you ever know.  I *also* hope that you were just as miserable. 

lace up, double knots, high-fives. 

No comments:

Post a Comment