Tuesday, December 11, 2012

We NEED to talk about chickens.





 
I like chicken.  Chicken is great, versatile, yummy, etc.  However, I have noticed a branding thing lately that is driving me CRAZY!!

"Anti-biotic, organic, vegetarian chicken."  The first one is great - we should probably not over medicate food that we intend to eat.  The second one - great, so we know that this chicken is a living thing and not plastic, hooray!!  The third is flat out bullshit.  Chickens, by their very nature, are not vegetarians.  This is not natural.

WHAT?!?!?!? 

Have you been to farm??  Have you seen a wild chicken??  They scratch the dirt for worms and grubs, not potatoes.  They eat bugs, not cornmeal. (I do realize that as birds they naturally eat a little bit of everything - that they aren't strictly carnivores).  Do I think that chickens should be fed chicken, or diseased animal by product - nope.  Do I think that they should be allowed to eat what chickens normally eat - sure do.  Will I be lured by marketing statements that are laced with tomfoolery - no way. 

We are smart people, and vegetarian chickens don't make sense!!!

I, for one, will be seeking out local chickens that have gotten to be chickens - bugs and all.

No comments:

Post a Comment