Sunday, August 7, 2011

Is it me??

...Or is it a full moon, OR - are the people in Colfax especially bat-shit crazy today??

Today was my short, slow, run - short. slow. You with me??  We are talking 2.1 miles at 10:45 miles.  Slow.  Short.

On my way down the hill (barely running at this point - warming up really) I was greeted by a man, slightly resembling Santa Clause.  Well, huge beer belly and shaggy white beard, wearing jean shorts and a muscle shirt that even Santa may be too embarrassed to be seen in; he was resting against his bike.  As I jaunt by, he utters: "bet you can't do that up hill."  You're right old man, I could do it faster up hill - cause I'm not even trying right now!!!  I choose to ignore this one.  Whatever.

At about a mile into the run, a van pulls over and screeches to a halt in front of me.  Two teenage girls jump out and begin to run towards me.  This is where Shiloh is SO right, if I would have had pepper spray I would have used it.  I don't care what kind of happiness you are bringing into the world - don't stop a moving vehicle and run toward a lone female that you do not know.  You have been warned.  Anyhow, the blonder of the two gals runs up to me.  I turn off my iPod and grunt "you better keep up."  (again wasn't going all that fast)  She tries to issue me a popsicle, "compliments of the Church of Nazarene."  Really? You saw someone on a run, and thought "wow they look hot, bet they would like a popsicle."  I informed her that I appreciated the gesture, but it is hard to literally eat and run and it probably wouldn't make it home.  I get she was being nice... I get it.

... and just when I thought it couldn't get any weirder.  Ms. 80 year old, forgot to put in my partial, missing a couple 6 teeth, smoking what smells like an unfiltered cigarette, hollers at me.  I didn't hear what she said the first time, so again, off with the pod - "what?"  She says, "you really need to take your water with you!!!"  Scolding me, really?  ARE YOU KIDDING ME!!!  Is she really expecting me to take her seriously??  Maybe I am the crazy one, but I don't really feel it's appropriate for this lady (who A. is smoking and B. has obviously not taken the best care of herself) to offer up health advise.  So, I holler back "I'm not even going 5K lady - I am fine!!"  I could have added a number of extra "helpful tips" about how not polluting my oxygen would, in fact, be even MORE helpful - but I was almost done. 

I have never been so happy to see my front door.  You can bet I am not going anywhere else tonite.  Crazy weirdos.

May your evening be weirdo free.

Andrea

1 comment:

  1. See? This is exactly what happens when you live on the edge of the edge of civilization (vs. the center of the edge of civilization, like we do). ;)

    ReplyDelete