Tuesday, December 7, 2010

You had me at flibbertigibbet.

Oh, how I love the English language!!

I was reading this very interesting book the other day, "What the Dog Saw," and stumbled across "flibbertigibbet."  I thought, yes, this - this right here is a great word!!  Which of course led me to start thinking of all those other great words we know and never use: kerfuffle, discombobulate, persnickety, brouhaha, bamboozle, cantankerous, obsequious... and on, and on, and on.

I think it is time to step the vocab up a notch, and begin to incorporate these fun-sounding words into our everyday language.  I'm bringing flibbertigibbet back!!

May your day be marvelous and free of the supercilious.

Andrea

1 comment:

  1. I personally love "Bunghole"... yes, I learned it from Beavis and Butthead and I'm a little ashamed to admit that. I just had to know if it was a real word, so I looked it up. It's actually a hole that you would empty a barrel or jug into. That's not quite as interesting as, "I AM CORNHOLIO! I need T.P. for my bunghole!"

    ReplyDelete