Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Ahh, to be young again.

Come back to your childhood with me.  This is probably a girl thing - so if I lose the men - I apologize.

While the boys were playing cops and robbers, transformers, he-man, trucks; us gals were watching.  Watching the women around us, the women on tv, the women in movies and magazines.  Taking it all in, and trying to understand what this great big world was all about.

You'd find us attempting to act older than we were, sneaking lip stick, uttering phrases we didn't quite know the meaning of, taking our first few steps in our mother's high heels. 

... and then there's the dancing.  There are very few women that I know now that didn't do this. They not be the most forthcoming with their information, but we all had our larger than life living room moment. 

Mine was to the beginning of "Adventures in Babysitting."  I watched this movie over, and over.  I perfected the dance, and everyday after school I worked on my routine.  I thought, "this, this right here, is gonna come in handy someday."  I can only imagine the silent giggles my mom and grandparents shared at the seriousness of this routine.  I can also remember my mother yelling, "Andrea!!  Leave those God damned curtains alone."

Whether your routine was to Dirty Dancing, Thriller, Love is a Battlefield, Billie Jean, Like a Prayer, Flash Dance, or Girls Just Want to Have Fun we each had our moment.  This, this was MY moment!!!

 I still remember most of it...

Here's to dancing in the living room!!

No comments:

Post a Comment