Saturday, March 12, 2011

Patience, Grasshopper.

Today, I ran in my first ever 10K - that's 6.2 miles (in case you were wondering).  It was windy, it was cold, I had to fight pooping dogs, and I encountered some serious hills I didn't plan for.  In spite of everything, I came in at 53:3?. 

I wanted to be mad at myself.  I wanted to tell myself I should have worked harder.  I wanted to shake my fist at mother nature.  And then I called coach.

Initially, I told him I was upset that I didn't do better and he ask me why.  He asked me what I thought I should have done, and why.  Well, I didn't have an answer for that.  There was no science behind the magic number I thought I should have run.  He told me that I ran a damn good race, for my first ever 10K, and just think, next time will be better.   I gave him the, "yeah, but..."

To which he replied, "no... think of where you were a year ago... 6 months ago.... you are still a beginner and you will get stronger, and you will get faster." 

I thought about it.  A year ago, I couldn't run a mile straight through.   Six months ago I was running 11 minute miles, no more than three or four at a time.  Today, I ran 6.2 miles in 53:3?, and I am very proud of that.

He reminded me that the best runners have been doing this awhile, and I need to have the patience and give myself the grace to grow.  He couldn't be more right.

May your day be filled with sage advice.

Andrea

No comments:

Post a Comment